Valerie volunteers with a number of local and regional non-profit organizations. She has been a board member for others, providing support, expertise, and hands-on assistance.
- Advisor to the Prosecuting Attorney for Pend O' Reille County in connection with multiple animal cruelty charges concerning the State's then most notorious puppy mill operation. The high-profile case, State v. Bergman, was the subject of lengthy coverage on Court T.V. (1997).
- Advisor to Friends of Woodland Park Zoo Elephants.
- Member of Legislative Advisory Committee formulating landmark revisions to Washington's animal anti-cruelty statutes. (Fall 1994).
- Board Member, Homeward Pets
- Advisor to the Progressive Animal Welfare Society
- Advisor to the Northern Idaho Wolf Alliance
- Advisor to Trapfree Oregon
Affiliations & Support
- American Rivers
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Conservation International
- Conservation Northwest
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Seattle Audubon
- The Wolf Recovery Foundation
- Washington Environmental Council
- Western Watersheds Project
- Wilderness Society